Sunday, May 8, 2011

Is your glass half full or half empty?

It’s been awhile since I last updated my blog.

Okay, who am I to kid myself here?

A 5-month absence can’t really be classified as ‘awhile’ unless you are on maternity leave... or can it?


I do miss driving on occasions ever since I came here but seriously, who would bother driving when the public transport system is so convenient, not to mention so much cheaper?


Just the other day I was standing in the bus on my way to work (no, in case you’re wondering, I don’t drive buses for a living + driving while standing up will just be too plain dangerous!) when the bus stopped at a traffic light and a pick-up truck transporting foreign construction workers stopped beside it.

I looked at them and asked myself, “What have I done to deserve such a good life?”

We don’t get to choose where we were born or our parents. We don’t get to pick our race and whether or not we get to be born free of deformities.

Compare a child who is a genius with an IQ of 150 born in a small rural village in Bangladesh to parents who did not have any form of education and a child born here with an average IQ – who will fare better in life?

Maybe I consider myself more privileged than those construction workers but for them, perhaps they themselves feel that they are already much better off than the people left behind in their villages who did not get the opportunity to come here, earn some money and go home to become the few richer ones there.

We also don’t get to choose how or when we die (unless one decides to commit suicide but that’ll be just plain stupid) so why not enjoy our journey while we’re still here?

And to think that we moan about being in a cramped fully air-conditioned bus and when there are no more available seats left in the train.


“If you haven’t all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don’t have that you wouldn’t want.”Unknown















No comments: